October 25, 2012

First Book Review : Providence by Jamie McGuire

In the past few weeks, I've read quite a few books and I've enjoyed them all, quite a bit. But I've finally settled on doing my first book review on Providence by Jamie McGuire!


Now what exactly led me to this book, you may ask. Once upon a time, I stumbled upon this book called Beautiful Disaster (Jamie McGuire), little did I know that I would fall in love with that book. So I did what any reader would do, search for more books by this author and came upon Providence and little did I know that it was a series. I'm a fan of series, it just never ends ... well sort of! So lets begin, wish me luck!

When I first saw this book, I literally had no idea what it would be about. Little did I know this book was considered a paranormal-romance, with that being said, this was a first for that specific genre.

Since Goodreads does a better job than I would at summarizing, here's what they had to say:

In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.

Right from the beginning, I was instantly drawn into the story. Jamie did such a great job with making us feel exactly what Nina was feeling during the death of her beloved father. I'll be honest, I was on the verge of crying right from the get-go!

For a change, it was nice to read a book, where some of the main characters are in a college setting, it's easy to relate to the stress of studying, balancing a social life, and in Nina's case, maintaining a relationship. We've all been there, it's not always easy stuff. After Nina's first "unexpected" encounter with Jared, it doesn't take her long to develop feelings for him, whether she denies it or not. And of course, that first encounter wasn't the last we'd see of him. Lets just say that "his timing is impeccable". He casually showed up at places that Nina was, in my mind, he was a stalker! What's up with these characters and their stalkerish ways, it tends to be the trend in a lot of current books I've been reading.

Jared isn't the only one showing up around Nina, a persistent man, who claims to have worked with her father, approaches Nina about a certain file of her fathers, which leaves her mind boggled and eager to search for the truth. After stumbling around in her father's office, she begins to learn the truth about his past and starts to question a lot of things.

After so many run-ins with Jared, Nina catches on and starts to get suspicious and confused because after so many encounters, he has yet to give her his number. Even though, she still denies her feelings, her friends definitely take notice that something is going on. After some time, Jared finally takes her out to dinner and we learn more about Jared and the life he has live; it was more than I bargained for. In a time, where vampires and werewolves are currently popular, Jared gives everyone a run for their money! And that's all I'll say with that.

This book will instantly hook you from the beginning, being in Nina's shoes, you'll be just as eager as she was to see Jared over and over again. This first book shares the journey of Nina learning about her father's past and coming to sense that having a normal life wasn't written in stone for her. With Nina being the ever so stubborn and argumentative character, I was happy that I wasn't annoyed with her at all. She is a strong woman and is perfectly matched for Jared, who everyone will just adore. Imagine being in love with your bodyguard and go from there.

I love this book a lot and you should read it too!

My rating : 5 stars!

P.S. Jamie McGuire, you are my new favorite romance author!

[ With this being my first review, I would really appreciate any feedback to help better my reviews. I know it's not all about pleasing the audience, but I'm not the greatest writer in the world. Feel free to comment below or email me at : cantstopreadingromance@gmail.com.