January 26, 2013

Review : Slammed by Colleen Hoover



Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

{ GoodReads }

I seriously don't know where to begin about this book, I've never been so emotional, while reading a book. I  started this book right after my husband went to sleep and I managed to finish it in a few hours. Obviously, I was completely drawn to this book and I couldn't put it down. Trust me, I tried! I tried to close my eyes and sleep, but all I could think about was, what happens next?! This book came out a year ago ... I know, I'm really behind on reading all these awesome books!

The dialogue in this book is just amazing, so much emotion seeping out of every page and it's easy to feel so connected to each of the characters, even the little ones. And I especially loved all the slam poetry, when it came to the main characters reciting their own poetry, I felt like I was always on the edge of my seat, drawn into every word they were saying. And going off of Colleen Hoover's other books, she knows how to pull your heart in all sorts of directions!

Something that I gained from this book are the life lessons, Will and Lake were thrown into some crazy life situations, but that's just how things happened for them. Life just happened. It wasn't like they could have prepared for it; it happened and they had to deal. And it was always one thing after another.

Death. The only thing inevitable in life.

This book definitely opened my eyes a bit more, I know we hear the saying, "life is short" all the time, but this great read helped me get an even better grasp of what that all meant. Life is just one big crazy journey, no one knows what their future holds, we can always make plans, but something will always cross your path, where you start to question what you should do to get over whatever hump it is.


You can’t run to another town, another place, another state. Whatever it is you’re running from— it goes with you. It stays with you until you find out how to confront it.

I don't think I cried so much, while reading a book. My heart was constantly tugged in so many different directions, you'll experience loss, grief, just trying to survive, and of course, love. I promise you that this book will take you on quite the roller coaster of emotions. So, everyone should read this book and the next one, and the next one after that, yes it's a series, Point of Retreat is the 2nd book

My rating : 5 stars

Thanks for reading my review, comments are always appreciated! I just made a facebook page for this blog, if you've enjoyed my reviews so far (I know I've only done 3), I'd definitely appreciate it, if you like'd my page. And follow me on twitter, I love twitter and will tweet with anyone!